Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rocky Road Brownies in a Jar

So this year, we have a lot of gifts that have to go out. I have decided that I am going to make as many as possible my self. I hate spending money when I know it may not be appreciated. We have several in the family, if they don't like it, after you walk out of the house, they will throw it away. So I have decided to make things everyone will like.

For several people they have loved these brownies that we have had, so those people will be getting brownies in a jar. It's one gift, I know they will enjoy.


Ingredients you will need
1 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (we use semi-sweet, but some people prefer milk or dark chocolate)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts. (I have also make with pecans
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup miniature marshmallows

You will need to get a quart mason jar. In there you will layer the ingredients so it looks pretty, everything but the marshmallows. The marshmallows, place in a bag on the side, as they won't fit in the jar. Cover the jar.

You will want to give the jar with the following list of instructions as well. I write up on an index card, and tie right to the jar. I have received these as gifts, and if it's not with the jar, it may end up lost.

To make
You need 1 jar of Rocky Road Brownie mix
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Turn the oven on to 350. You will use an 8x8 pan. If you want a thinner brownie you an use a 9x9.

Mix the all the above ingredients except the marshmallows in a bowl. Make sure it is well blended, and all is moist. Place into the pan, and bake 25-30 minutes. Put the marshmallows on and bake another 3-5 minutes, until they are puffy and melted.


My notes and variations
**If you would like to brown the marshmallows a bit, place under the broiler on low to melt them, and puff them up. They will brown slightly.
**I check the brownies after about 15 minutes, and rotate the pan, to make sure they do bake evenly. I also then test how "set" the brownies are. they aren't wiggly too much in the middle I check them after it's been about 22 minutes in the oven. if they are still soupy looking, i go closer to about 27 minutes before i check. I like my brownie to be chewy on the inside instead of cake like.
**Sometimes, I will take chocolate sauce, either store bought or homemade, and drizzle on the brownies.

When serving, it is great to serve seperatly, but It's also good with a side of rocky road ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment