This was a one of a few favorite cakes of my husband. For him, if it's not chocolate it's not dessert.
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 12-ounce package milk chocolate chips or 8 milk chocolate candy bars
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate chips together over low heat until
smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Mix sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Add cooled
butter/chocolate mixture. Beat thoroughly until well combined.
4. Mix flour and baking soda, then add to egg mixture alternately with
buttermilk, ending with buttermilk.
5. Add nuts if using and mix lightly. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out
7. Cool on a wire rack in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out of pan and
If you want to fancy it up, you can dust with cocoa or powdered sugar. My
husband is horrified at this but I occasionally drizzle it with chocolate
ganache but honestly, you don't need to if you don't want to.