Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Meatloaf Meal

Tonight is Meatloaf night. This is a family favorite of ours.


Unfortunately I can't give any amounts exactly of how I make it. I will do my best though. This is one of those that ends up as a little of this, and some of that type of recipe. I have been making this since I was a young child, and can't remember ever measuring it out.

We like leftovers so this one definitely gets made extra.

3 lbs of ground meat. I use a combination of ground beef, and ground turkey
1 medium onion, or about 3 tablespoon dried onion
3 tablespoons parsley
2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon pepper. I use lemon pepper sometimes. Give a different flavor
2 teaspoon salt. I use seasoning salt sometimes
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup ketchup
bread crumbs

I mix all of the above together in a large bowl. I add enough bread crumbs to the mixture so it has a stiff feeling to it. I mix with my hands so I can feel better. I would suggest adding the bread crumbs until it resembles a good consistency for you. I typically end up adding about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs. Shape into loaves. Bake at 350 about 45-60 min

Toppings----- I make this into 2 loaves. In one loaf, I add prunes. On both loaves about half way through I put ketchup on the top.

I don't like grease at all in my meatloaf. I used to bake this in a pan, and always had grease in the bottom from the meat. So I now wrap in foil, make 3 slits on the bottom of the foil, about 2-3 inches in length and place on the broiler pan. I grease the broiling pan first. This way I can enjoy the meatloaf and it wasn't sitting in grease while cooking. The slits on the bottom allow the grease to drain out.

Side Dishes

Now to this, I make up some au gratin potatoes. If I have time, I will make from scratch otherwise, I will use a box. Sometimes I will also make up mashed potatoes

I then go and grab a jar of corn or peas to go with for the veggies

I will also make up corn muffins if I am short on time. If I have time, I will start a loaf of bread in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment