So this recipe came from someone else, and i made it, and WOW. It was so good, I had to pass it on.
I did do a few things different, as I had the squash already canned. So I started with a pint of squash and kept adding until I liked the taste. Probably close to a quart of squash I put in.
I am not a huge onion fan at all, but in this, i think you really need it for that flavor. Since you place in the blender there are no chunks of onion, but you get that flavor.
Butternut Squash Soup
6 tablespoons chopped onion (optional**)
4 tablespoons margarine**
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (this is about a 2 lb. squash)
3 cups water*
4 cubes chicken bouillon*
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
* You can substitute 4 cups of chicken broth for the water and bouillon cubes)*
** If you do not like onions, you can omit them and butter and that step in the instructions**
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Brush squash with olive oil and dust lightly with a small amount of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place sliced side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for about 10 minutes until able to handle carefully. (Squash should still be somewhat firm.) Remove skin from squash. (You can also peel squash skins and cut into chunks before roasting.)
3. In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is very tender.
4. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.